Tuesday, April 5, 2011

This trail brought to you by xxxxx, Inc.

Ain't singin' for Pepsi
Ain't singin' for Coke
I don't sing for nobody
Makes me look like a joke
This note's for you.

Neil Young: This Note's for You

Well, this is likely to stir up a hornets nest.

Lawmakers in Florida are considering legislation that would allow corporations to advertise on hiking trail signs in state parks in order to help fill the 3.8 billion dollar budget gap.

The so-called "trails for sale" bill is tied to legislation allowing advertising on state roads, which may in the end kill the idea because Federal law prohibits advertisements on many interstate systems. There hasn’t been an economic study on how much money the legislation would generate, but supporters of the bill estimate it could raise 10s of millions of dollars.

Honestly, given the state of our public finances on the local, state and national levels, this doesn't surprise me at all.

Given this reality, I really don't have too much of a problem with this, as long as the corporate advertisements and/or logos aren't over-bearing and blend-in with the existing signs and the natural environment. Moreover, I would also want reassurances that this doesn't become a slippery slope in which the presence of corporate advertisement in our parks becomes even greater.

But I'm not holding my breath on that. Afterall, we are dealing with politicians.

If this program were to become successful in Florida, you're almost guaranteed that similar programs will be implemented all across the country, maybe even in our national parks.


Jeff
HikingintheSmokys.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

W. T. F?

I'm primarily conservative. But his saddens me.

Ray Anderson said...

Absurd.