New Additions to HikingintheSmokys.com

Thursday, May 22, 2008

As mentioned in my previous post, HikingintheSmokys.com has undergone several changes over the last several days. We’ve added a 6 minute video showing highlights from our hike up Mount LeConte. You can check out the video, a few pictures, as well as the complete report by clicking here.

As I mentioned, last week we returned from an eight-day hiking trip in the Smoky Mountains. In addition to the video, we have added detailed trip reports and pictures for the 13 trails we hiked, including Mount LeConte, Charlies Bunion, Andrews Bald, Alum Cave, Rich Mountain Loop as well as several other trails not as well known. During our trip we hiked over 56 miles and climbed over 11,400 feet.

We were threatened with rain almost every day, but managed to dodge it for the most part. There was a particularly nasty storm that blew through the Smokies one night that dumped about 6 inches of marble-sized hail on top of Mount LeConte. We happened to hike this trail the day after. It made for some interesting hiking, especially around Alum Cave.

We also saw a ton of wildflowers, which are posted throughout the new trail pages.

Hopefully you liked the video and found it helpful. Please drop me note, I would love to hear your feedback as I will be posting more video over the next couple of days.

Finally, stay tuned, I will be posting a comprehensive collection of wildflower photographs I’ve taken this spring. I’m not exactly sure how many varieties I have, but I expect there to be at least 25. You should see those photographs in this column within the next week or two.

Jeff
HikingintheSmokys.com

No comments