Great Smoky Mountains National Park has announced the annual "Cosby in the Park" festival to be held this Saturday, May 19th, at the Park's Cosby campground. In its 13th year, "Cosby in the Park" is presented by the Cocke County Partnership, Great Smoky Mountains Association, and the Park. The event celebrates the cultural heritage of this area and highlights the many recreational opportunities available in the Cosby section of the park. The event is free to the public and is scheduled between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
The festivities this year will all take place in the campground amphitheater, and the group campground areas. All of the crafts and children's games will take place near the amphitheater. Free parking for attendees will be provided in campground Loop B.
A full day of activities is planned that includes Southern Appalachian music, hikes, and demonstrations on local history, blacksmithing, quilting, corn shuck dolls and crafts, old time toys, natural foods and medicinal plants, and other folk arts.
Families are encouraged to attend, and take some time to learn more about old time toys and traditional mountain crafts. This year children and families are invited to make their own rag doll and button whizzer to take home.
The scheduled activities are:
10:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. Honoring of the Ogle Family
10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. Mountain Strings
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Lost Mill String Band
12:15 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Scenes from Sunset is Coming with Duay ONeil
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Tony Thomas
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Boogertown Gap Band
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. The Green Family Band
• Hike to Ella V. Costner Grave. 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Moderate in difficulty. Meet at Cosby picnic area pavilion. Leader: Alma Williamson
• Seeking Edible and Medicinal Plants along the Cosby Nature Trail, 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm. Easy to moderate. Meet at amphitheatre area. Leader: Jennie Burke
• Ella V. Costner,"The Poet Laureate of the Smokies" Exhibit - Sheila Evans
• Blacksmithing - Clayton Sharp, ongoing demonstration
• Quilting - Maria Holloway, ongoing demonstration
• Old-Timey Food Preparation - Ellen Ogle, ongoing demonstration
• Cosby History Exhibit-Judy and Shane McGaha, ongoing demonstration
• Traditional Corn Shuck Crafts- Lori Anderson, ongoing demonstration
• Traditional Broom Making -Chuck Anderson, ongoing demonstration
• Native Foods and Medicinal Plants - Heather O'Donnell, ongoing demonstration
• Children's Toys and Crafts- Robin Goddard and Jennie Burke, ongoing activities
• And more….