US Hwy 441/Newfound Gap Rd from Gatlinburg TN to Cherokee NC will close this evening at 5:00 PM due to significant winter weather.
Foothills Parkway East at Cosby will be closing at 4 pm today due to approaching significant winter weather event.
Foothills Parkway West from Walland to Wears Valley (New Section) will be closing at 4 pm today due to approaching significant winter weather event.Here's the latest Winter Storm Warning forecast from the National Weather Service:
...ACCUMULATING SNOW EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT...To stay on top of all road closures in the Smokies, please visit their Twitter page: https://twitter.com/SmokiesRoadsNPS
.A storm system will produce widespread precipitation across the southern Appalachians Tonight through Monday night. Temperatures will be cold enough to produce significant snowfall over the higher elevations, especially in places above 3000 feet. In addition to snow, winds are expected to remain breezy in the mountains which will lead to hazardous driving conditions.
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM EST TUESDAY...
* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 9 inches. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.
* WHERE...Far east Tennessee Mountains.
* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 7 AM EST Tuesday.
* IMPACTS...Travel will be hazardous due to the falling snow and windy conditions. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning and evening commute.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Blowing snow will cause reduced visibilites and drifting of snow. Cold temperatures and strong winds will cause wind chill temperatures to drop into the teens to single digits.
Ramble On: A History of Hiking