Karl Meltzer Announces Appalachian Trail Speed Record Attempt

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ultrarunner Karl Meltzer announced on his website this week that he will be making another attempt at the Appalachian Trail speed record this season.

He made a very strong attempt at the record in 2008. Although he was hampered by injuries, he still completed the 2176 miles, and roughly 500,000 feet of vertical climbing, in just 54 days, 21 hours, and 12 minutes. That time now ranks as the fifth-fastest recorded time in history. Jennifer Pharr Davis currently holds the Appalachian Trail speed record after completing the trail in just 46 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes in 2011.

Here's the announcement Karl made on his website:
In other big news. I am now making a formal mention that I’ll be headed back to Mt. Kathadin in Maine for another run at the AT record. I”m sure I’ll get some negative response, but keep in mind…this is all about being on that amazing trail, moving quickly and efficiently, and giving it all the respect I can possibly give it. If I fail, or fall behind a potential record, I am jumping in our vehicle and coming home. I won’t complete it this time if the record can’t go down. There will be no blog, no circus, and no listening to people tell me that hikers are faster than runners. Or visa versa….there is no difference, one person just moves a bit quicker and takes more risks.

You can read more on his blog by clicking here.



Jeff
HikingintheSmokys.com

No comments