For the Blue Ridge Parkway's 75th Anniversary, the RomanticAsheville.com Travel Guide has selected the "Top 10 Places to See Along the Parkway" in the Asheville area.
Beginning north and traveling south, here is their list:
1) Grandfather Mountain: Drive to the top and enjoy beautiful vistas from a rocky summit and the famous Mile High Swinging Bridge, plus see impressive environmental habitats. Milepost 305
2) Linn Cove Viaduct: This 1243-foot concrete segmental bridge snakes around the slopes of Grandfather Mountain. After driving across, stop at the Visitor Center to read about the construction and hike underneath it. Milepost 304
3) Linville Falls: See five viewpoints of the most photographed waterfall in North Carolina via two trails that begin at the Visitors' Center. Milepost 316
4) Mt. Mitchell: Drive to the summit of the highest point east of the Rockies, and take a short paved trail to the observation deck for panoramic mountain views. Milepost 355
5) Craggy Gardens: Park at the visitor center here for great views to the east and to the west. Enjoy the crisp air, summer rhododendron, and easy to moderate hiking trails. Milepost 364
6) Folk Art Center: Discover the finest in traditional and contemporary craft of the Southern Appalachians with a wonderful craft shop and exhibitions in three galleries. Milepost 382
7) Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center: Learn about the entire 469 miles and 75-year history of the Parkway with high-tech interactive exhibits that includes a 22-foot interactive I-Wall map. Milepost 384
8) North Carolina Arboretum: Stroll through a variety of gardens, on peaceful hiking trails, or ride Segways. And don't miss the wonderful bonsai exhibit. Milepost 393
9) Pisgah Inn: Stop for lunch and enjoy the views from 5,000 feet at the only restaurant on this section of the Parkway. Milepost 408
10) Graveyard Fields: This very popular hiking spot features two waterfalls in a mile-high valley filled with wildflowers and surrounded by Blue Ridge Mountains with 6,000-foot peaks. Milepost 419
For more information on many of the hiking opportunities along the Blue Ridge Parkway, please click here.
HikingintheSmokys.com Detailed information on trails in the Smoky Mountains; includes trail descriptions, key features, pictures, video, maps, elevation profiles, news, and more.