Wildlife in North Carolina magazine is accepting entries for its annual nature and wildlife photo competition.
All winners will be published in the January 2011 issue of Wildlife in North Carolina magazine.
The grand prize winner will appear as the cover illustration. The winners’ photos also will be on display at the Museum of Natural Sciences and at other science museums and wildlife education centers across the state in 2011.
Photographs must have been taken in North Carolina no earlier than Sept. 15, 2005. The contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers.
Photos will be judged in 10 categories:
* Reptiles and Amphibians
* Wild Landscapes: The peaks, valleys, plains and beaches of North Carolina.
* Wild Plants: Wild-growing plants only, including their flowers, leaves, fruits and other parts. *
* Outdoor Recreation: Show how people interact with North Carolina’s natural world through activities that are inextricably linked to nature, such as hunting, fishing, hiking, rock climbing or canoeing.
* Animal Behavior: Anything animals do, from everyday activities to interactions with other animals to unusual behavior.
* Youth Photographer, 13–17: Any of the above subjects, shot by photographers under 18.
* Youth Photographer, 12 and under: Any of the above subjects, shot by children 12 and younger.
The deadline for entry is Sept. 1. Rules, more information and entry forms are available by clicking here.
HikingintheSmokys.com Detailed information on trails in the Smoky Mountains; includes trail descriptions, key features, pictures, video, maps, elevation profiles, news, and more.