The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC), in partnership with the Bears Den Trail Center, invites the public to attend a long-distance hiking workshop on Saturday, November 10, 2012 from 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. at the Bears Den Trail Center, located at 18393 Blueridge Mountain Road, Bluemont, Virginia. The workshop is free and open to all ages. Advance registration is required.
"The Appalachian Trail Conservancy looks forward to providing information to hikers who are interested in getting outdoors and exploring the A.T. with a backpack, whether for a week-long trip or a six-month thru-hike of the entire A.T.”, said Laurie Potteiger, information services manager of the ATC. “Part of our mission is to educate the public on how to successfully and safely hike the Appalachian Trail while minimizing impacts on the environment."
Participants will check-in between 7:30a.m. and 8:30a.m. Coffee, tea and donuts will be provided for breakfast, but participants will need to bring their own lunch.
Workshops will run from 9:00a.m to 4:30p.m. Topics will include planning and preparation, nutrition and cooking, health and safety, Leave No Trace™ and much more. A portion of the day will be spent outdoors, where participants will learn how to pitch a tent, hang a bear bag and other outdoor skills.
Instructors include Lauralee “Blissful” Bliss, 2007 A.T. thru-hiker and 2008-2011 A.T. section-hiker, as well as Justin and Patrice La Vigne, 2011 A.T. thru-hikers.
An optional dinner, catered by Apple House, will be available for $10.00 a person, consisting of pulled pork, side dishes, chips and drinks. Participants are also welcome to stay for a casual campfire gathering after dinner from 7:00p.m. – 9:00p.m.
Overnight accommodations will be available at the Bears Den Trail Center. Camping is $8.00 a person and indoor lodging is $15.00 a person. Anyone under 18 years of age will need to be accompanied by an adult. Checkout is on Sunday at 9:00a.m. Complimentary coffee and tea will be available, as well as pancake mix to make your own pancakes.
To register, e-mail Justin LaVigne at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday November 1, 2012.
- Long-Distance Hiking Workshop
- Date: November 10, 2012
- Time: 7:30a.m. – 4:30p.m.
- Location: Bears Den Trail Center, 18393 Blueridge Mountain Rd, Bluemont, VA 20135
- Workshop: FREE
- Optional Dinner: $10.00/person
- Optional Overnight Indoor Stay: $15.00/person
- Optional Overnight Camping: $8.00/person (includes inside privileges)
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:30a.m. – 8:30a.m.: Registration
- 8:30a.m. – 9:00a.m.: Introduction/Welcome
- 9:00a.m. – 12:00p.m.: Planning and Preparation, Nutrition and Cooking, Health and Safety and Leave No Trace™ Workshop
- 12:00p.m. – 1:00p.m.: Lunch
- 1:00p.m. – 2:00p.m.: Gear Essentials and Packing a Backpack Workshop
- 2:00p.m. – 4:00p.m.: Setting Up Camp/Outdoor Demonstration
- 4:00p.m. – 4:30p.m.: Wrap-up
- 5:30p.m. – 7:00p.m.: Optional Dinner
- 7:00p.m. – 9:00p.m.: Optional Campfire Gathering
For more information or to register, visit www.appalachiantrail.org/events or contact Justin email@example.com.
Hiking in the Smokies