On the third Tuesday of each month this year, Friends of the Smokies will be offering guided hikes as part of their Classic Hikes of the Smokies series. To celebrate the Friends’ 20th anniversary this year, each hike will honor an achievement or cause that the Friends organization has supported in Great Smoky Mountains National Park since its establishment in 1993.
The hike for next month is a special overnight experience, which will also honor support for the Ridge Runner program in the park:
June 18 and 19: Fontana Lake Experience
Overnight 2 day experience
Trails – Hazel Creek Trail, Lakeshore Trail, and A.T
- 11:00 a.m. Meet at Fontana Marina
- Boat ride to Hazel Creek with History Walk lead by local historian Lance Holland (author of Fontana: A Pocket History of Appalachia)
- Reception with Smokies Superintendent Dale Ditmanson at Fontana Village
- Gather for dinner
- Overnight accommodations at Fontana Village
Wednesday - Guided Hikes:
- Option 1: Shuckstack Firetower with Danny Bernstein, celebrated outdoor author, blogger, and
hiking expert (Honoring support for the Appalachian Trail Ridgerunner Program)
- Option 2: Lakeshore Trail with Keith Hoffman, AmeriCorps Outreach Associate, M.S. Biology (Celebrating pollination in the Park for National Pollinator Week)
* The Friends’ early rate: $130 for current members $165 for non-members / After May 15: $160/$195
* Double occupancy rates: $160/$195 / After May 15: $195/$230. Rooms with 2 queen beds at The Lodge in Fontana Village. Price includes room, round-trip boat shuttle to Hazel Creek, guided excursions, and reception. Meals are not included.
* Non-members also receive a complimentary one-year Friends membership.
Space is limited!
You can pre-register for this event through Friends of the Smokies at 1-828-452-0720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hiking in the Smokies