The Chimney Tops 2 Fire Facebook page just published the following update:
On Tuesday, December 6, property owners, business owners, renters, and lease holders will continue to have daily access to properties to allow appropriate time for cleaning, smoke removal, and securing their properties. Daily access will be allowed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. through the East Parkway (Hwy. 321) entry point. The curfew remains in effect from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
On Wednesday, December 7, property owners, business owners, renters, and lease holders will be allowed to return to full-time occupancy beginning at 7:00 a.m. through the East Parkway (Hwy. 321) entry point. The curfew will then be in effect from 10:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. on both Wednesday and Thursday.
The City of Gatlinburg plans to reopen for business and to the general public on Friday, December 9 at 7:00 a.m. Major roadways are expected to be open, but some city roadways may remain closed to accommodate utility work. More information will be provided throughout the week.
Local officials have provided the following update:
• To date, there are 14 confirmed fatalities.
• To date, there have been 145 injuries/illnesses.
• 1,753 structures have been damaged or destroyed by the fire.
• There are currently 25 crews, 46 engines, 6 helicopters, 2 dozers, 780 total personnel fighting the Chimney Top 2 Fire as a part of the Type 1 Federal Incident Management Team.
• The Chimney Top 2 Fire is estimated to be 42% contained. The Cobbly Nob Fire is estimated to be 53% contained.
• The Spur parkway is open only from Pigeon Forge to the Gatlinburg Welcome Center. There will be no access to Wiley Oakley from the Spur.
• Wiley Oakley Drive and Greystone Heights Road remain inaccessible due to critical utility work. Emergency crews are working to open it as soon as possible.
• The Water Boil Advisory is still in effect for the following areas in Gatlinburg: Ski Mountain, Chalet Village, Greystone Heights, and Campbell Lead areas. The Water Boil Advisory was lifted for the downtown area.