The April edition of Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine, published earlier in the week, includes a list of eight weekend backpacking trips for those looking for new territory to explore in the Southern and Central Appalachians.
Most of the hikes laid out in the article are 2-3 days long, but there are a couple that will keep you out with mother nature for even longer. The list includes the following hikes:
* Wild Oak Trail in the George Washington National Forest
* Iron Mountain Trail in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area
* North Fork Mountain Trail near the Virginia-West Virginia border
* Laurel Highlands Trail in Pennsylvania
* John Muir National Recreation Trail in Eastern Tennessee
* Tanawha Trail near Grandfather Mountain
* Fires Creek Rim Trail in the Nantahala National Forest
* Art Loeb Trail in the Pisgah National Forest
For more details on each of these hikes, trip itineraries, and to read the article, please click here.