75 Hikes on the 75th: March Schedule

Thursday, February 26, 2009

As part of the year-long celebration of the 75th anniversary of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Jerry Span from the Fontana Hiking Club has organized a program called “75 Hikes on the 75th”. As the name would imply, there will be 75 organized hikes in the Smoky Mountains throughout 2009.

Below are the six hikes scheduled for March:

March 7. Caldwell Fork/Boogerman/Caldwell Fork/ Rough Fork

March 8. Mt. Sterling/Mt. Sterling Ridge /Balsam Mountain to Pin Oak Gap/Palmer Creek/Pretty Hollow Gap

March 14. Bote Mountain/W. Prong/Lumber Ridge/Miegs Mountain/Curry Mountain

March 21. Old Sugarlands/Twin Creek

March 22. Deep Creek/Pole Road Creek/Noland Divide

March 28. Beech Gap/Balsam Mountain/Gunter Fork/Camel Gap/Big Creek

For more information on these hikes, please email organizer Jerry Span at jerry.span@fontanavillage.com or phone: 828-498-2122.


Jeff
HikingintheSmokys.com Detailed information on trails in the Smoky Mountains; includes trail descriptions, key features, pictures, video, maps, elevation profiles, news, and more.

Smoky Mountain Day Hikers Store Quality gear and apparel from some of the best outdoor brands.

2 comments

Time Outdoors said...

I used to live in Knoxville and love the GSMNP. I am doing my first thru hike on the Appalachian Trail and will be passing through the GSMNP in late March. Hopefully I will meet some of you on the trail. If you want to follow along on my journey I am going to update my blog via my cell phone. http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/

The Smoky Mountain Hiker said...

T.O.,

Good luck on your adventure. I bookmarked your site and will definitely follow along.

Jeff