As a result of the snow and ice in the region, the following roads in the Great Smoky Mountains are now closed:
* Newfound Gap Road (US 441), Gatlinburg, TN to Cherokee, NC
* Little River Road from Gatlinburg to Townsend
* Cherokee Orchard Road in the Roaring Fork area
* Lyons Springs Road (a.k.a. Wears Gap Road)
* Foothills Parkway East, Cosby, TN to I-40
* Cataloochee Entrance Road near Maggie Valley, NC
* Old NC 284, between Big Creek, NC and Cataloochee, NC
For Gatlinburg, the forecast is for snow, mainly before 1 pm. High near 36. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
The forecast for Cherokee is for snow, mainly before 4 pm. High near 35. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible, with little or no snow accumulation expected into the evening.
You can keep up with current weather conditions and forecasts by clicking here.
For the most up-to-date road closing in the Smokies, please call (865) 436-1200.
HikingintheSmokys.com Detailed information on trails in the Smoky Mountains; includes trail descriptions, key features, pictures, video, maps, elevation profiles, news, hiking gear store, and more.