Join avid and knowledgeable hikers, Roger and Mae Snyder, for the Great Smoky Mountain Association's first Spring hike to the Sugarlands Stone House.
Believed to have been built by the CCC as a lodge, the building's walls are constructed almost entirely of stone and are 18 feet in height, not a small task considering it was built somewhere between 1933 and 1942.
Though the building has been considerably damaged by fallen trees and plunder, and the roof and loft have been removed, it still remains an archeological remnant of the park's history.
While the round-trip distance is about 6 miles, participants should be aware the last mile or so is off-trail and requires some rock-hopping over a stream and some steep climbing prior to arriving at the house.
Plan on wearing appropriate clothing and hiking boots, and pack a lunch and water.
The hike will take place on Saturday, May 1. It's limited to 20 people. Reservations, along with a $10 fee, are required. To avoid disappointment please call early: 865-436-7318, extension 222 or 254.
HikingintheSmokys.com Detailed information on trails in the Smoky Mountains; includes trail descriptions, key features, pictures, video, maps, elevation profiles, news, and more.