There are several temporary road closures on the Blue Ridge Parkway this week as a result of bears, construction, and storm debris removal projects.
* The Peaks of Otter Picnic Area has been closed temporarily due to a sow with three cubs that have been acting aggressively and have bluff charged several people over the past week in the picnic area and on nearby trails. Employees and visitors are advised to stay out of the area until further notice.
In North Carolina:
* Tree removal projects are being conducted near Deep Gap at Milepost 275 to the Yadkin Valley Parking Overlook at Milepost 290. Parkway visitors should expect minor delays as a result of traffic control through this area.
* The Linville Falls Picnic Area, near Milepost 316, is scheduled to be temporarily closed beginning today, August 16, at 8 a.m. and will remain closed until Wednesday – August 18, 2010 at 4:30 p.m. This closure is necessary for the completion of the paving of the picnic area entrance road, which includes asphalt sidewalks, drain repairs, and re-striping of the road and parking areas.
* The Craggy Gardens Picnic Area at Milepost 367.6 will be temporarily closed from Monday, August 16, at 6:00 a.m. until noon Friday, August 20. Due to the narrow road leading up to the picnic area, pavement overlay activities require complete closure of the entrance road.
* The Blue Ridge Parkway will be temporarily closed from Wagon Road Gap at Milepost 412 to the Graveyard Fields Parking Overlook at Milepost 418 on Monday, Aug. 16 through Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2010, to conduct storm debris removal and hazardous tree work. Access to the parkway from U.S. Route 276 will remain open.
For updates on parkway road and weather conditions, please call 828-298-0398.