The Great Smoky Mountains announced today that the Laurel Gap Shelter, near Balsam High Top, will be closed through November 13th for construction.
Other backcountry closures include:
• The parking area at the Curry Mountain trailhead on Little River Road has been closed for safety and resource protection purposes. Hikers should park in the nearby Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area.
• Gunter Fork Trail closed due to landslides
• Cosby Knob Shelter, Mount LeConte Shelter, Silers Bald Shelter and backcountry campsites 21, 24, 35, 68 are closed due to bear activity.
The following trails and shelters currently have posted bear warnings:
• Alum Cave Trail
• Clingmans Dome Trail
• Trillium Gap Trail - Grotto Falls parking area to Grotto Falls
• Laurel Falls Trail
• Little River Trail
• Pretty Hollow Gap Trail
• Rainbow Falls Trail
• Upper Forney Ridge Trail
• Backcountry Campsites 18, 28, 36, 37, 38, 61, 85
• Double Spring Gap Shelter
• Laurel Gap Shelter
• Mount Collins Shelter
• Spence Field Shelter
To keep up with the latest, visit the Smokies temporary road and facilities page.