We’re not in Kansas anymore!

Monday, September 20, 2010

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that my wife and I just returned from an awesome two-week cross-country road trip that took us through 11 states. Along the way we visited 4 national parks, 1 national monument, as well as numerous national forests and wilderness areas. We made it to the top of one state high point, climbed to an elevation of 14,265 feet, and ventured 755 feet below the surface of the ground.

We also visited the first federal reservation in America (and now the smallest national park in the NPS), as well as the second oldest city in the United States.

Over the next several days I’ll be sharing photos and stories from some pretty spectacular hikes, as well as some of the places we visited.

In the meantime, I’ll get caught up on any and all news pertaining to the Great Smoky Mountains and post anything that might be of interest.

Stay tuned!

Jeff

Fresh New Gear - 2011 Men's Softshell, Fleece And Rain Jackets At Backcountry.com. Expires 10/4/2010

2 comments

Anonymous said...

14265,you didn't happen to climb Long's Peak did you? I'm planning to do that next summer.

The Smoky Mountain Hiker said...

No, but great guess! Actually it was Quandary Peak. I attempted Longs in 1996. Once I got past the Keyhole I realized that I was way out of my league.

Have you seen pix of the route?!

Check out some of the photos on this site:

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=long1&peak=Longs+Peak

Good luck!!