Late last month Garmin introduced brand new microSD™/SD™ cards for what they are calling the Trailhead Series.
These are highly detailed 24K topographic maps for both the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail (no word yet on the Continental Divide Trail). The maps feature terrain contours, topo elevations, summits, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes, geographic points, as well as a fully routable trail.
* Highly detailed digital topographic maps for the Appalachian Trail, comparable to 1:24,000 scale USGS maps.
* Contains a fully routable trail from beginning to end, plus basic road coverage available as a reference.
* Includes national, state and local parks, forests, recreational and wildlife area boundaries.
* Contains detailed hydrographic features, including coastlines, lake and river shorelines, wetlands and perennial and seasonal streams.
* Includes searchable points of interest, such as geographic place names, campgrounds, scenic lookouts and picnic sites, businesses and more.
* Displays 3-D terrain shading and digital elevation model (DEM) shaded relief on compatible devices to help estimate terrain difficulty.
* Features Bureau of Land Management township, range and section information and USGS quad locations.
* Includes coverage for the Appalachian Trail, plus 10 miles of extended coverage on each side of the trail.
For more info on the Appalachian Trail SD Card, please click here.