As a sure sign that spring in the Smokies is just around the corner, several of the seasonal roads in the Smokies will be opening again this weekend, provided, of course, that the region doesn’t experience any late winter snow storms.
Beginning this Friday, March 13, the following seasonal roads will re-open:
• Little Greenbrier Road – just outside of Wears Valley
• Parson Branch Road - Buses, RVs and motor homes are prohibited on this one-way road out of Cades Cove. As a result of heavy rains in December, the Forge Creek Road has been closed for repairs. The road is scheduled to re-open sometime in mid-March according to the National Park website. I assume this will be ready for automobiles to access the Parson Branch Road.
• Rich Mountain - Buses, RVs and motor homes are prohibited on this one-way road out of Cades Cove.
• Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail - Buses, RVs and motor homes are prohibited on this road outside of Gatlinburg.
• Roundbottom/Straight Fork – near Cherokee, NC.
Additionally, Clingmans Dome Road is scheduled to open on April 1 and the Balsam Mountain and Heintooga Ridge Roads are scheduled to open on May 8.
HikingintheSmokys.com Detailed information on trails in the Smoky Mountains; includes trail descriptions, key features, pictures, video, maps, elevation profiles, news, and more.
Smoky Mountain Day Hikers Store Quality gear and apparel from some of the best outdoor brands.