The Great Smoky Mountains added an advisory to their website this morning concerning trail construction in the Pecks Corner area that will occur from October 13-20.
Park officials state that they do not anticipate closing the trail, however, there may be delays of up to 15 minutes. For your safety, they ask that you make your presence known as you approach the job site.
The park doesn't mention which trail, but Pecks Corner is located near the junction of the Appalachian Trail and the Hughes Ridge Trail - roughly 6 miles east of Charlies Bunion.
Other trail advisories:
• The Russell Field Shelter is closed due to on-going rehabilitation project.
• Water sources from campsite 113 to Spence Field are still unreliable. Water is currently available at Derrick Knob, which is approximately 23 miles from Fontana. Please plan your hike accordingly.
• The Little River/Jakes Creek Trail access road in the Elkmont area will be closed to public use through Oct 15.
Trails with bear warnings posted:
• Laurel Falls Trail
• Rainbow Falls Trail and parking area
• Lower Mount Cammerer Trail - Sutton Ridge Overlook area
For a complete list of bear warnings and temporary closures, please click here.