'Tis the season.... As a result of new snow and icy conditions, several roads in the Smokies have been temporarily closed this morning:
• Newfound Gap Road (US-441) is closed due to ice and snow
• Little River Road
• Laurel Creek Road (this is the access road to Cades Cove)
• Wear Cove Road
• Foothils Parkway East
• Cataloochee Entrance Road
• Cherokee Orchard Road
• Old NC-284 between Big Creek and Cataloochee
• Cosby Campground entrance road
• Gatlinburg Bypass
As of this morning, Alexander Hughes, the winter caretaker at the LeConte Lodge, is reporting that there's more than a foot of snow on the ground atop the mountain now. He has a few pictures posted on the site as well.
To keep up with the latest forecasts, please click here.
To keep up with the latest on road closures, please click here, or call the park hotline at 865-436-1200.
Smoky Mountains Day Hiker Store