Yosemite's "Fire Waterfall"

Monday, December 13, 2010

Check out the photos of the "Fire Waterfall" in Yosemite National Park. The waterfall is actually Horsetail Fall on the east side of El Capitan.

At first I thought that maybe this was a hoax, or maybe they were photo shopped images, but apparently they're real. The spectacular view of the waterfall is created by the reflection of sunlight hitting the falling water at a specific angle, and can only be seen during a 2-week period towards the end of February. Thus, seeing and photographing this phenomenon is fairly rare.


>> Just 4 days left to order for Christmas with FREE Super Saver Shipping at Amazon.



Jeff
HikingintheSmokys.com

3 comments

Wendy said...

That is just gorgeous! I've never heard of that phenomenon. Thanks for sharing!

The Smoky Mountain Hiker said...

Wendy - thank you. Yes, I posted this because I had never heard of it either. Makes you wonder how many other things are out there - like this - that most people have never heard of as well.

Chris said...

Amazing pictures! Thank you for the link. When I saw the headline, I thought they had revived the old "fire fall". This is much neater!