As the spring hiking season ramps-up in the Great Smoky Mountains, I just wanted to remind readers that several trails in the park remain closed, while others have cautions posted on them. In particular, you may want to note the scheduled closings of the Chimney Tops Trail over the next several months:
• Chimney Tops Trail is scheduled to be closed on Mondays through Thursdays, April 30 - October 18, 2012 for trail rehabilitation.
• Beard Cane Trail is closed due to tornado damage.
• Hatcher Mountain Trail - North of its intersection with Little Bottoms Trail is closed due to tornado damage.
• Gunter Fork Trail closed due to landslides.
• Caldwell Fork Trail - several footbridges along the trail are damaged. Hikers wishing to use the trail will need to ford the creek. The foot bridge located between the trailhead and the second junction with the Boogerman Trail is out and is scheduled for repair in May.
• Smokemont Loop Trail/Bradley Fork Trail - the foot bridge located at the junction of these trails is out and scheduled for repair in May.
• The Laurel Falls Trail continues to have an active bear warning.
To keep up with all the latest closures and warnings in the Smokies, please click here.